Sunday, January 19, 2014

Submitting homework

The first homework submission went very well I thought. I've been accepting email homework quite a while now, and this was probably the easiest first homework submission I've had.

That being said, here are a couple of suggestions that will make the process easier for me:


1) If you're submitting a single file, putting your last name in the filename helps a lot. That way, I don't have to rename everything. For example, "p_leclair_HW1.pdf" is really handy. "leclair_p_HW1.pdf" is even better, since it alphabetizes nicely when I look at all the files together.

2) If you know how to do it, combining separate scanned pages/pics into a single file is good, but don't spend too much time figuring it out if you don't know how. I can suggest how to do this on various platforms if you're interested.

3) If you're sending multiple files attached to a single email, put your name in the subject line. The reason is that from gmail, I hit the 'download all attachments' option, and it uses the subject line to generate the filename. If your name is in the subject, saves me a renaming step.

4) For electronic or hard copy submissions, I don't need a copy of the problem set itself, you can just turn in your work.

5) If you use the 'wrong' email address, I will still get your homework, and I will still grade it. In fact, all my emails forward to the same place. The separate homework address is mainly for archival and notification purposes - if all the homework is in one place, I can easily search it, and I can set up more urgent alerts to be sure I don't miss anything.

6) When I say the homework is due at midnight, I'm not all that strict. I'm willing to spot you an hour or two if you're willing to stay up doing physics at 2am Saturday morning. I should probably tell you that you should have started earlier, and that deadlines are deadlines, but doing physics past midnight on Friday is hardcore, and allowances should be made. Deal's off once the sun comes up though.

7) Late submissions are better than no submissions. Sending it the next day may incur a penalty, but not sending it at all gets a zero. Zeros are bad. Partial submissions are also better than no submissions. I won't be insulted if you don't finish the problem set. Send what you've got and move on, get what points you can.

Overall, it costs me a little more time if I get 60 emails with a subject like "homework" or "physics homework" and filenames like "homework.docx" or "hw.jpg." I can sort this out very easily, and it is not a huge burden, I'm mainly pointing these things out because it probably just didn't occur to you and I should have mentioned it earlier.

These are really just suggestions, I'm happy to deal with any sort of files you send. I can read pretty much any file format you can think of (that is not a challenge, btw, but I will dust off a copy of WordStar if need be), and tend to be pretty organized, so it isn't a huge deal. The main point is: if you can save me a minute or so per submission, that is awesome because there are 60 of you.

One last thing - if you do send cell phone pics of your homework, make sure it is as bright as possible (cell phone cameras do best in bright light), and pay close attention to what is in the background ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment