Thursday, April 16, 2009

Exam III details

(Update: if you checked Moodle within the first ~10 minutes of my posting this, I may have been updating the overall grade calculations at the time. Anything after 02:35 is accurate.)

I finished grading your exams, albeit under somewhat savage time pressure these last days. That means I haven't had time to process the results very much, but your raw scores will be available on Moodle in the next half hour or so. Anyway, the results:

Average: 73%
Std. Dev: 14%
Hardest questions: 2,3,4

Based on these numbers, I will scale it a bit. Probably, this will mean adding something like 5-7% to your test grade, but I haven't decided that yet. I will scale it such that the class average is at the C+/B- border with a favorable distribution. Details of this should be clear by Friday ...

Despite the averge being a little lower than I had anticipated, I am happy with the results, having seen how you went about the problems. By and large, you know what you are doing, and it was mainly time pressure and simple things that tripped you up. We'll go over the solutions in detail today in class. As a peace offering for giving another bastard exam, we will also devote a good amount of time to rocket targeting and such things and less time to lecturing.

Random plots for your perusal:

No comments:

Post a Comment