Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Following twitter updates, if you're in to that sort of thing

I am putting out some homework hints via twitter now, just as an experiment. You do not need a twitter account to follow these updates.

(1) the twitter updates will also be mirrored as my facebook status. You can look at my wall on facebook and see the same stuff.

(2) go to http://twitter.com/pleclair periodically

(3) get an RSS feed of my twitter updates, then you can read them in your aggregator of choice. You can get a facebook application to bring RSS feeds to your facebook homepage, fyi.

(4) (update:) follow the little twitter-box on the right side of this page ... type "pleclair ph125" in the box and hit "set."

One obvious question is why bother with this. I don't know, actually - it may not be worth the trouble. My thoughts:

(a) it is easy to follow twitter updates on a mobile device (if you have enough text messages in your plan). this means you can get HW hints and stuff without having to be near a computer.

(b) it takes me like 5 seconds to make a twitter post, whereas even on the blog I tend to spend 5-10min or so composing a post. If it is easier for me, I am likely to do it more often (even under savage time pressure), and the more help you get. (The reason I switched to a course blog in the first place was speed & frequency over static web pages.)

(c) On the other hand, having this blog is probably plenty already. I may be overthinking this problem, or going toward too many channels of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment